Sunday, April 3, 2011

Big Boys - Lullabies Help The Brain Grow

When I ended the original portion of this blog, I mentioned that it would be strange not putting records from the old trunk up here. And that's true to some extent. But I'm also freed from the constraints of the trunk now too. I feel like a train that's been let off the rails, free to go wherever I want. I can go backward or forward in time at will now, exploring the recordings that led to the contents of that trunk, and the stuff that followed after it.

So, with that, here's the Big Boys' 1983 album  Lullabies Help The Brain Grow. I snagged a demo copy off eBay a while back. It's a strange mish-mash of early hardcore and funk. There are bits and pieces throughout this record that bring to mind the Minutemen, Dead Kennedys and Gang of Four. Songs meander from straight up speed ("Lesson") to stuff with horns ("Funk Off"), to ballady indie rock ("Sound on Sound") and back again.

The Big Boys played shows with the Dicks quite a bit. Their split live LP "Live at Raul's" is considered a classic. I'm trying to hunt that one down, but it's tough to get.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment