Friday, March 11, 2011

Urge Overkill - Sister Havana

Saw ducks on the pond outside the house yesterday morning, so Spring is officially here. Soon beachy summer stuff will follow like the picture over there.

Also, spent a few minutes in Northampton and Amherst today, and noticed that pretty much all of the record stores where I bought these things no longer exist. Oh well.

UO's first major label single. I think I was hoping it would be as interesting as their Sub Pop one, but that was not to be. It's two years later, and they continue to chase that bombastic arena-rock thing, (as well as mega-stardom) like on the other single, but lost the noise-rock influence by this point. They're left with this bombastic mellow-ness, which might as well be Journey, or some shit like that. There's a ray of hope on the B-side though.

I'm amazed that this single charted in the top 10, and never even realized that until now.

A: Sister Havana
B: Woman 2 Woman
Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Well it looks like you are not taking requests. Just the same I'll throw this out there - I wonder if you have the Vivians "I Fear" LP. It came out 1991-ish on Hit & Run Records. Band was out of Cleveland, so was the label I think. They toured a bit with Urge Overkill and Prisonshake, and played quite a bit in Pittsburgh where I live. This is a pretty long shot - I haven't been able to find it anywhere, and its not for a lack of looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not taking requests simply because I've pretty much ripped all of the vinyl that I own that I really want to rip. Down the last 15-20 or so.

    Don't have that album, sorry. I'll do some digging for part II of this blog, whatever that becomes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got my hands on a vinyl copy of that Vivians album. I'll rip it after this stuff is all done, so check back in April. If anyone else has any recommendations, please send them my way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They toured a bit with Urge Overkill and Prisonshake, and played quite a bit in Pittsburgh where I live. This is a pretty long shot - I haven't been able to find it anywhere, and its not for a lack of looking.
    Check here

    ReplyDelete