Thursday, February 24, 2011

Mirror/Dash

A Sonic Youth Side project featuring just Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon.

"Electric Pen" sounds a lot like a typical Sonic Youth album from the era, minus the drums, and maybe with a few more clanging guitars in the background. The only issue I have with it is that I've never been a big fan of Kim Gordon's vocals.

"Gum" is a bit stranger. More experimental. Kim doesn't sing so much as whisper over some noise. It's reminiscent of their Ciccone Youth song "G-Force"

No recollection of where or when I got this. I was really into Sonic Youth in the late 80's/early 90's, so I can see why I picked it up.

An Amherst memory; I was walking through the center of town, killing time, and saw a bunch of college-age guys playing touch football on the green. There was a woman playing with them, and as I got closer, I realized it was Kim Gordon, going out for a pass in huge white boots. She was really into it.

A: Electric Pen
B: Gum
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Finally. A music blog where I don't have to fix ID tags after downloading. Thanks for this release especially. Great site.

    ReplyDelete