Saturday, February 5, 2011

Wolverton Brothers - My Assassin

January, 1993 Singles Club release.

I think this is the first time I've ever listened to this, and the cardboardy-lint stuff that I had to scrape off the vinyl agrees with me.

I moved from Amherst to Northampton around this time and was living between two places for a while. My guess is that this arrived, got packed immediately and I never really looked at it again. It's offbeat enough that I would have remembered it. It's kind of hard to classify, and the two songs don't sound too much alike except for these great ringing guitar sounds.

My Assassin is almost 80's artsy synth-pop from an alternate universe. Max Gomez Love is a Nick Cave-esque number with shimmery guitars and over the top vocals.

Another band in this collection that is still together. They seem to stick close to Cincinnati these days, and have been labeled an alt-country act at times, which is just amazing after listening to these two songs.

A: My Assassin
B: Max Gomez Love
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment