Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Caustic Soda - Subtle Change

Oh boy. I knew this day was coming. Some of the Riot Grrrl stuff that was shipped back to me was awful. I'm a lousy critic in that I hesitate to call something terrible, because I appreciate that it takes some guts to get out on stage and do something like this. But, as I've said before, there are some that just aren't good at doing it themselves. Some aren't even mediocre. And this is one of those bands, and this is one of their singles.

One of my big gripes about the Riot Grrrl scene was that a lot of these bands had feeble rhythm sections, and even on their recorded stuff, these bands seems to drift over the place, which seems inexcusable. This band falls squarely into that camp, though I would add that I don't like the vocals, or the not-so-subtle lyrical content. "We are strychnine to the earth"? I get it. Please.

That said, download anyway, just to check it out. With the New Year coming up, I'm picking a couple out to end 2010 and to start 2011, so I'll make it up to everyone with some good stuff.

A: Subtle Change, Smoking Mirrors
B: Strychnine To The Earth
Enjoy?

No comments:

Post a Comment