Sunday, December 26, 2010

Mudhoney/Sonic Youth - Split Single

OK, confession time. I did not buy this back in the day. This was always a single that I really wanted, as I was really into both of these bands, and I joined the Sub Pop thing far too late to get my hands on this. So, I managed to track down a copy on eBay recently. Merry Christmas to me.

I'd never heard the SY version of "Touch Me I'm Sick" before. Mudhoney did release their "Halloween" on a singles compilation, and I have that. I guess SY's song was released on a deluxe edition of Daydream Nation, but I already own the original version, and never bought it again. I have to say, Sonic Youth were far more diverse in what they did (and still do) and are more technically proficient musicians and all, but Mudhoney wins in this little battle of cover songs. It's all in the vocals. Kim doesn't sound comfortable trying to emulate Mark Arm. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me on that one. Oh well.

This was apparently dreamed up before Mudhoney had even released anything, as the guys at Sub Pop sent Sonic Youth a tape, and they liked them so much, they agreed to do a single with them

A: Sonic Youth - Touch Me I'm Sick
B: Mudhoney - Halloween
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment